Saturday 23 August 2014

I'm not racist nor sexist - Mackay

Former Cardiff boss Malky Mackay says he is
not racist, sexist, homophobic or anti-Semitic
despite admitting sending offensive text
messages.
In an interview, Mackay claimed only three
messages of thousands recovered had been sent
by him.
"They are completely unacceptable, inappropriate,
and for that I sincerely apologise," said the 42-
year-old Scot.
"I'm a leader of people and it shouldn't have
happened, but I'm a human being and I made a
mistake."
Mackay is alleged to have shared the texts with
former Cardiff colleague Iain Moody, who quit his
position as Crystal Palace sporting director
shortly after the allegations came to light.
"Out of 10,000 text messages in and out of
someone's phone, I sent three," added Mackay.
"There is no excuse. It was a period where I was
under pressure and stress in terms of
relationships which were not going well at my
football club at the time. Once again, that
doesn't actually excuse anything."
The League Managers' Association issued a
statement expressing Mackay's regret on
Thursday but came under fire for describing the
offensive texts as "friendly banter".
Text messages allegedly shared by Moody and
Mackay (as reported in Thursday's Daily Mail)
"Go on, fat Phil. Nothing like a Jew that sees
money slipping through his fingers." On
football agent Phil Smith.
"He's a snake, a gay snake. Not to be
trusted." Referring to an official at another
club.
"Not many white faces amongst that lot but
worth considering." Referring to a list of
potential signings.
A number of anti-discrimination campaigners
criticised the LMA and the statement, while
Cardiff City called for LMA chief Richard Bevan to
resign.
Mackay said Bevan should remain in his job.
"I've not used the word 'banter', but the overall
statement was very accurate," said Mackay.
"That word is wrong and the LMA soon realised
that and they've tried to correct that.
"There's various parts of the statement which
showed there was contrition on my part. I think
every manager in the country backs the LMA and
Richard Bevan. I don't think he should resign."
The Football Association says it is investigating
claims of misconduct after being sent a dossier
by Cardiff.
Both Mackay and Moody were sacked by the
Bluebirds last year.
Moody lost his job as head of player recruitment
in October 2013 following a dispute with Cardiff
owner Vincent Tan over transfer activity.
That is said to have strained the relationship
between Tan and Mackay, who was sacked
following a 3-0 defeat by Southampton in
December.
Mackay added: "These are testing times, make no
mistake about that.
"But I've got values and resilience and I've got a
love for British football and I will come back from
this."

No comments:

Post a Comment